WISE for Iowa Schools•Is Your School WISE?
Each of our Iowa school districts play an important part in the role of healthy and safe students. The Working to Institutionalize Sex
Education (WISE) program in Iowa will assist schools in adopting,
implementing, and institutionalizing Comprehensive Sex Education (CSE). Learn how WISE is working nationally, in Iowa and in participating schools.
Iowa students deserve an education that helps them succeed in today’s technology rich, global
economy. The Iowa Core (formerly known as the Iowa Core Curriculum and the Model Core Curriculum)
provides academic expectations for all Iowa’s K-12 students. Click here to view the Iowa Core and
Common Core Fact Sheet.
Read Danene Soraces’ Addressing Sexual Health in Schools: Policy Considerations
Click here to view the Iowa WISE method flowsheet.
How will the WISE project improve your school?
Our programming aims to meet the goals of the students and educators. WISE Iowa will provide training, technical assistance and resources to assist schools in finding a curricula path that is best suited for that district. The WISE Iowa program will assist schools in policy creation and support the entire delivery of comprehensive sex education, and prepare teachers to deliver quality programs in classrooms. There is a connection between comprehensive sex education and academic success as effective programs an foster student achievement. To read Advocates for Youth’s full publication, please click here.
The Center for Disease Control made the connection in their publication as well, please click here to read the full article.
Click here to view a list of the Iowa Department of Education approved curricula.
Click here to view the Iowa Sexual Health Education Fact Sheet.
Who are WISE Iowa partners?
The WISE Iowa Project recognizes the importance of partnership among various organizations and community members. This partnership brings together the expertise and resources in the field of teen sexual health, health care, education, unplanned pregnancy prevention, and many other areas of expertise. Partners include:
- *Community Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention grantees
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Iowa Department of Education
- Iowa Department of Human Services
- The Grove Foundation
- The Ford Foundation
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation
What are the components of the WISE Initiative?
- A collaborative assessment of school district’s policies and practices
- Mapping and alignment of curricula to the Iowa Core and National Sexuality Education Standards
- Enhancing the readiness of districts to institutionalize the implementation of comprehensive sex education
- Cadre of professional trainers was developed to provide instruction and training on select evidence-based sex education curricula and skill building
- Establish implementation monitoring
- Customized professional development trainings including teaching techniques to increase comfort in providing sex education, which builds capacity and program sustainability.
To sign up for the WISE Iowa Project please complete our newsletter sign-up form.