Click here for the 2017 Teen. Empowerment. Month Playbook.
Click here to view the 2017 Stall Street Times for Teen. Empowerment. Month.
May is “Teen Empowerment Month,” a time to highlight the importance of education, access, and empowerment to help
teens take control of their sexual health in a way that is normalized and not stigmatized. This month, schools and health organizations across Iowa will be hosting awareness campaigns to encourage teens to become informed about healthy relationships and responsible sexual decision making.
Research in Iowa indicates that many teens are already making healthy sexual decisions. Among Iowa high school students over half have never had sex, and of those who are sexually active an estimated 60% use condoms. Teen Empowerment Month encourages those continued behaviors while providing added education and support. Additionally, the campaign will encourage teens to know their rights in regard to sexual health and seek reproductive services if desired.
Teen Empowerment Month will feature a social media campaign, in which agencies and schools across the state will be using Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to connect with Iowa teens. Messages about healthy relationships, STDs, birth control, communication and teen pregnancy will be shared through various posts during the month. Teens will receive similar messages during the school day through announcements, posters and events. When teens are provided with comprehensive education and access to services~ they are able to take control of their sexual health.
5 Things You Can Do To Support Teen. Empowerment. Month:
1. Have open & honest conversations with the teens in our life about their sexual health!
2. Share the Teen. Empowerment. Month logo and information on your social media pages!
3. Post information about reproductive health and teen’s reproductive rights in your classroom or agency (or even on your fridge at home)!
4. Wear purple to show your support of Teen. Empowerment. Month. and the teens in your community!
5. Support the mission of EyesOpenIowa and Teen. Empowerment. Month. by making a donation online!